All Text, Graphics, Animations, Video, and Commentary on this website was created by, and is the intellectual property of All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized reproduction is punishable by up to a $500,000 fine or 5 years imprisonment for a first offense, and up to a $1,000,000 fine or up to 10 years imprisonment for subsequent offenses under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA). Requests for use of this material should be forwarded to

 M40's 'Bowkri'


      The best wilderness survival gear on the market!

Backyard campers and Rambo wannabe's... go buy a Bear Grylls kit. When you get serious about your wilderness activities... come see my gear. Hikers, mountain bikers, cross country skiers, ATV'ers, off-roaders, and others whose activities carry them far and wide... discriminating outdoorsmen opt for quality gear.

Iíve started a new project, and itís a cross between a bowie and a khukri... a "Bowkri". 

I did the original design in CAD. Here's the overall dimensions (about 15 x 3 inches).

I had a bunch of blanks laser cut from ľĒ thick 6150 spring steel (essentially the same stuff as the leaf springs in a truck).

Hereís a rough ground blade next to a blank:

Here's some quick videos I took of the grinding process:

VIDEO 1: Rough Grinding a Blank - A 36 grit belt throwing a good shower of sparks.

VIDEO 2: Finishing up the Rough Grind - A couple hours into the grind, and it's shaping up nice.

VIDEO 3: Final Smoothing - Now it's starting to look like a blade!

If you're wondering what that little "hook" is used for, you've apparently never been in the life or death wilderness dilemma of not being able to open your beer.

I did a differential heat treating to give me an extremely hard cutting edge, but retain the spring toughness along the spine. I did an inch or so at a time, and each area saw multiple quick trips to austenitic followed by quench.

After heat treating, I went to finer and finer belts, and finally a buffing wheel with jewelerís rouge to bring out a nice mirror finish.

Check back... I'll hopefully be adding some final finishing videos soon showing the buffing process to bring out a mirror finish.

Hereís a nearly complete blade next to another khukri Iíve been working on. As you can see, the khukriís can polish up nicely with some effort!

Finally, Iíve been trying a few different techniques for doing custom acid etchings on my blades. Here's a flame and logo pattern I Photoshopped to test my etching process:

Here's a blade, masked in vinyl sheet and ready for the ferric chloride bath:

The end results!



I'll be adding handles and sheaths real soon, so check back for more pics and videos including some abusive and downright destructive testing!





Return to M40's Ghurka Modification Page